A bookshelf adds color, dimension, and personality to any room. However, figuring out how to perfectly style your shelf can be overwhelming. Here are my top tips!
- Start with larger items: Place the larger decorative items on your shelf first. These will be the anchors of the shelf. When placing these items make sure there’s a good balance of where they are placed. Items in this category could include a large vase, globe, or decorative box.
- Vary the direction of books: By switching between stacking books horizontally and leaning them vertically you’ll keep the shelf interesting and balance the weight.
- Organize by color: If you’re feeling your shelf is lacking, categorizing the books by color can add a fun touch.
- Use artwork: Artwork doesn’t have to be expensive. A nice print you found at a local art fair would do the trick for decorating your shelf. I suggest you place the artwork in the back of a shelf and layer with smaller decor pieces in front to create dimension.
- Decorate with odd numbers: When adding decor pieces to a shelf focus on odd numbers of items. Three items are typically a good rule of thumb.
- Add greenery: Placing some plants on your shelf is the perfect final touch! They bring life and a nice touch of color. My favorite plant is a trailing pothos- it looks great and they are super easy to take care of!
- Play with materials: If your shelf is still feeling lackluster, add in some new materials and textures. If you have natural wood shelves, you may consider adding in a few gold decorative pieces. Adding metals and glass lighten up the shelf.
- Share your finalized bookshelves on Instagram and make sure you tag me!